Senior Data Scientist - Search
For an online delivery platform like Wolt, data science is a big opportunity. Our business has grown to a level (and keeps growing) where machine learning models for user acquisition, demand prediction, delivery time prediction, dynamic pricing, operations optimisation etc. can have a huge impact. A more effective delivery platform will benefit everyone in our ecosystem: our 90 000+ courier partners, our merchants and our 10+ million consumers. We're looking for a Senior Data Scientist (Search) to join our competence team of 20+ data science and analytics professionals in Helsinki or Berlin.
Data Scientists at Wolt are working with machine learning for the most important processes and parts of Wolt’s online delivery platform. The work consists of owning machine learning components as part of a product team; starting from identifying opportunities, to developing and prototyping a solution, all the way to deploying, maintaining, and improving a production-ready solution. We are using a variety of technologies and tools e.g. Python, SQL, Spark, Snowflake, AWS, Looker, Airflow, MLflow, Kafka, Jenkins, and Grafana to get the job done, and constantly looking for ways to improve how our data scientists work.
You would work as an embedded Data Scientist in our cross-functional Consumer Search product team and own that specific area together with the team. You’d closely collaborate with product leads, engineers, designers and fellow data scientists.
The team focuses on improving the search experience and the relevancy of both global and in-venue search results. You’ll have the opportunity to impact and shape the whole domain as the key expert from a data science perspective, tackling challenging problems in e.g. query understanding and ranking.
Our humble expectations
- Ability to envision and implement a world-class search functionality for Wolt
- Experience in working with real-world, large scale search or recommendation products in the domain of ecommerce or marketplace
- Plenty of hands-on experience with production level data science projects: all the way from prototyping to maintaining and improving production ready solutions - i.e. ability to handle a use case end to end
- Deep understanding and experience with machine learning and solid understanding of (Bayesian) statistics
- Prior experience with ranking problems, query understanding and NLP
- Knowledge of experimental design and analysis, and A/B testing
- Degree or equivalent experience in a field relevant to data science
- Fluent programming skills in Python (our main language for data science projects) and experience with databases (SQL, etc.)
- Comfortable with a long enough list of tools and technologies to be effective in developing and deploying solutions. Ability to contribute to designing deployment architecture.
- Analytical and curious thinker, self-starter with drive to get things done
- Interest to contribute towards our Data Science team
Our offering to you
- You will be part of a team, which identifies themselves as Data Scientists, Data Analysts, and Business Intelligence Analysts. This means you will get a lot of peer support and sparring on your way growing as a data professional.
- The online delivery platform that Wolt is building will offer you interesting and complex challenges but also opportunities to create a big impact with your skills. Lots of geolocational and temporal data in real-time combined with differences in the economics and dynamics of the cities we operate in make Wolt a both challenging and also interesting company to practice analytics and data science.
- You would get to work in a company culture where we take ownership beyond the obvious, do common things uncommonly well, we think big but stay humble, do right by people, we treat others kindly and justly, recognise that if we don’t learn, we won’t stay still but fall behind and keep in mind that Luke was Yoda’s greatest achievement. Read more about how we work.
The position(s) will be filled as soon as we find the right fit, so make sure to apply as soon as possible!
The compensation will be a negotiable combination of monthly pay and Wolt stock options. The latter makes it exceptionally easy to be excited about our company growing and doing well, as you'll own a piece of the pie.
If you want to check up on your application or have any further questions about the position you can turn to Talent Acquisition Partner, Jenni Kivikoski, at email@example.com at any given time.
Wolt is a technology company that makes it incredibly easy to discover and get the best restaurants, grocery stores and other local shops delivered to your home or office. Wolt works together with over 30,000 restaurant and retail partners as well as with over 60,000 courier partners across 23 countries and 210+ cities.
Our apps (iOS and Android) have the industry’s highest reviews, largely because of our customer-centric approach to how we build our products and operations. For example, our customer service team responds in a matter of seconds, in the customer’s own language.
We’ve raised more than €707M in financing from renowned U.S. and European based investors, such as ICONIQ Capital, Tiger Global, DST, Prosus, KKR, Coatue, 83North, Goldman Sachs, Highland Europe and EQT Ventures & EQT Growth, among others. We've also been fortunate enough to receive some appreciation and recognition for our hard work along the way: Apple selected Wolt’s app as their Editors' Choice, Wired named the company one of the "Hottest Startups in Europe," Forbes included our CEO Miki Kuusi on its 30-under-30 in Consumer Tech list, and the Nordic Startup Awards named Wolt Company of the Year.
In 2020, the Financial Times named us Europe’s second fastest growing company. We’re still expanding rapidly and are looking for more talented individuals to join us. If you are passionate about cutting-edge technology, great food, and making an impact in your city, then Wolt just might be for you.
Wolt is more than just a food and retail delivery operation – in fact we are built upon a solid foundation of state-of-the-art technology. Our internal tooling enables us to ramp up new cities efficiently and provide excellent customer service, our own logistics platform allows us to optimise our couriers' work to get you the food you want as fast as possible, and our restaurant platform allows restaurants to offer exciting food experiences for our customers in an optimal way.
We work in small teams with high ownership, with each team focusing on a key area of the Wolt product stack. Each and every one of our product team members has a say in where we are going and what solutions we implement. We work with a passion, but we haven't forgotten how to have fun along the way!