Senior Legal Counsel, Courier Model
Are you an experienced employment law professional, with a genuine interest in the future of work, technological innovations and platform economy? Do you want to be part of building and scaling the international expansion in a truly global tech organization? If this sounds like you, then we’d love to chat! We are currently looking for two new team members responsible for courier model related matters to our Legal team. Depending on the experience and eventual job scope, either two Senior Legal Counsels or one Senior Legal Counsel and one Legal Counsel.
Wolt is a Finnish technology company founded in 2014 with a mission to transform the way people can order food from restaurants. Wolt has since grown rapidly and become a global company, currently operating in 23 countries and 100+ cities across EMEA with 8M+ registered users - and this is only the beginning.
As the platform economy is changing the ways consumers connect with restaurants and retailers, we are seeing a huge opportunity to be the industry leader with the amazing teams we have built globally.
To achieve our next growth targets, we are now looking for two in-house counsels dedicated to our courier model compliance, whether on a given market it is based on the independent contractors or employed couriers or something else. You will be based in the Helsinki HQ and work closely with our Legal team as well as other Wolt teams like product development, business development, operations team as well as our country teams located in 23 countries.
The regulation in our space is evolving globally and becoming more challenging to navigate and manage as we scale, and your mission is to ensure that from a courier model compliance point of view our growth is sustainable. We truly want you to be an expert in this field but also someone who is curious and eager to learn more and grow with us.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Together with our other in-house counsels dedicated to courier model compliance, you will be responsible for the development of and compliance with our courier model, whether on a given market it is based on the independent contractors or employed couriers or something else.
- Identifying proactively development possibilities relevant for our business be it ideas for different processes, documentation or for instance app development, as well as sharing global legal developments and other insights to internal stakeholders.
- Weighing in on the discussion on platform economy and the future of work.
- Using your strong expertise in employment laws and hopefully also other specific fields relevant for our business.
- Solutions-driven can-do attitude is an absolute must.
- Keeping yourself up to date on the industry and proactively take action and share knowledge and insights with other team members.
Our humble expectations
- 7+ years of legal experience as in-house counsel or from a law firm in an international setting.
- Master of Laws degree.
- Strong experience of advising on employment law related matters.
- Generalist ambitions beyond employment law expertise will work in your favor and litigation experience is considered as a plus.
- Experience in working in close cooperation with internal and external legal teams and working on multiple tasks at the same time.
- Ability to effectively weigh risks and payoffs in a number of scenarios.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Quick thinking and the type of person who rolls up their sleeves and gets to work, no matter the task.
- Fluent in English.
- Willingness to travel.
If you are excited about working in a high-growth environment, taking ownership, and being part of an extremely ambitious team, then click below to apply and get the conversation going!
What you’ll get by joining us
- Opportunity to be part of building something exceptional, in an international environment
- Lots of learning and growth in a globally scaling tech company
- Along with a competitive salary and benefits, you will also be eligible for our stock option plan
If you have any further questions about the position, you can turn to: Katariina Salomäki, Talent Acquisition Partner - firstname.lastname@example.org
Wolt is a Finnish technology company and we're best known for our delivery platform. On our mobile apps or website, customers can order their favorite meals from our restaurant partners – or other items from our grocery and retail partners – to either pick up their order or have it delivered by our courier partners.
We're currently active in 23 countries and more than 120 cities, servicing over 8 million customers. Our apps (iOS and Android) have the industry's highest reviews, largely because of our customer-centric approach to how we build our products and operations. For example, our customer service team responds in a matter of seconds, in the customer's own language.
We've raised €267M in financing from renowned U.S. and European based investors, such as ICONIQ Capital, 83North, EQT Ventures, Highland Europe, and Goldman Sachs Growth Equity and Lukasz Gadowski (founder of Delivery Hero). We've also been fortunate enough to receive some appreciation and recognition for our hard work along the way: Apple selected Wolt's app as their Editors' Choice, Wired named the company one of the "Hottest Startups in Europe," Forbes included our CEO Miki Kuusi on its 30-under-30 in Consumer Tech list, and the Nordic Startup Awards named Wolt Company of the Year. In 2020 we were recognized as Europe's most promising startup as part of Adyen and TNW's #Tech5 competition, and as the fastest growing tech company in Europe by the Financial Times.
Wolt is more than just a food and retail delivery operation – in fact we are built upon a solid foundation of state-of-the-art technology. Our internal tooling enables us to ramp up new cities efficiently and provide excellent customer service, our own logistics platform allows us to optimise our couriers' work to get you the food you want as fast as possible, and our restaurant platform allows restaurants to offer exciting food experiences for our customers in an optimal way.
We work in small teams with high ownership, with each team focusing on a key area of the Wolt product stack. Each and every one of our product team members has a say in where we are going and what solutions we implement. We work with a passion, but we haven't forgotten how to have fun along the way!