Senior Legal Counsel, Business Legal
Are you an experienced legal professional seeking a varied and challenging role? Does being part of one of Europe’s fastest growing companies excite you? If this sounds like you, then please read on!
Wolt is a Finnish technology company founded in 2014 with a mission to transform the way people can order food from restaurants. Wolt has since grown rapidly and expanded to new areas ranging from retail, groceries, and broader retail to running our own grocery stores. While doing this, we’ve become a truly global company, currently operating in 23 countries and 100+ cities across EMEA with 8M+ registered users - and this is only the beginning.
Our Legal superstars have been an integral part throughout this journey - they’ve consistently been at the forefront of building and scaling legal and compliance operations in all of Wolt’s markets. This continues as our Legal and Public Policy team keeps on growing and there are several exciting job opportunities open within the team. This time, as we love to provide opportunities for personal development and growth, one of our current Legal team members is moving to a new role within the Legal team, and we are now looking for a new team member to drive legal and compliance activities across a number of countries and regions.
In this role, you will be based in the Helsinki HQ providing proactive legal support to our management and operations in several regions and countries and also centrally. You will be developing processes and best practices to scale legal and compliance operations, training our business teams, and to put it simply, be responsible that our business grows in a sustainable manner in areas under your responsibility. You will also have a key role in supporting some of our global functions, e.g. procurement, and may also get additional responsibility areas as agreed.
We’re looking for someone who has the ability to tackle a number of complicated legal issues, but also someone who understands the Wolt way of doing things; a problem-solver with an entrepreneurial streak, a self-starting business-driver. Our ideal team member is flexible and open for change, dynamic, and proactively gets things done. It goes without saying that you are also a true ‘people person’ who enjoys working closely with others in an international setting.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Generalist: As Wolt’s Senior Legal Counsel, you’ll support Wolt’s business in various regions and countries, being the first point of contact and trusted advisor of our business stakeholders. Generalist skills and strong expertise with a solutions-driven can-do attitude are an absolute must.
- Expertise: The regulation in our space is increasing and becoming more challenging to navigate and manage as the company grows. In addition to generalist skills, it is great to have deeper knowledge in several legal fields relevant for our business: e.g. general contract law, e-commerce, consumer protection, competition law, mobile payments.
- Risk management and mitigation: When supporting the business, you will need to be weighing and clearly communicating risks and payoffs in a number of scenarios as well as finding solutions.
- Regulatory landscape: You will own the relevant regulatory landscape for Wolt’s operations in regions and countries under your responsibility, including following regulatory developments and supporting the team with any ad hoc legal matters that arise.
- Handling contracts: You’ll have a key role in improving our existing contract processes and templates with our merchant and other business partners.
- Getting things done: We are looking for people who proactively do useful things that no one told them to do and who tend to find a way when they know something needs to be done.
Our humble expectations
- 7+ years of legal experience as an in-house counsel and/or from a law firm in an international setting. In-house experience is considered as an advantage.
- Master of Laws degree from a reputable university in the EU. Additional LL.M. degree from the UK or the US is a plus, but not a requirement.
- Interest in taking on a generalist legal role with a broad range of work tasks.
- Solid experience in providing advice regarding several of the following: contract law, e-commerce, consumer protection, data protection and privacy, corporate law, mobile payments, marketing law.
- Experience in working in close cooperation with internal and external legal teams and working on multiple tasks at the same time.
- Ability to effectively weigh risks and payoffs in a number of scenarios.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Quick thinking and the type of person who rolls up their sleeves and gets to work, no matter the task.
- Fluent in English.
- Willingness to travel.
If you are excited about working in a high-growth environment, taking ownership, and being part of an extremely ambitious team, then click below to apply and get the conversation going!
What you’ll get by joining us
- Opportunity to be part of building something exceptional, in an international environment
- Lots of learning and growth in a globally scaling tech company
- Along with a competitive salary and benefits, you will also be eligible for our stock option plan
If you have any further questions about the position, you can turn to: Katariina Salomäki, Talent Acquisition Partner - firstname.lastname@example.org
Wolt is a Finnish technology company and we're best known for our delivery platform. On our mobile apps or website, customers can order their favorite meals from our restaurant partners – or other items from our grocery and retail partners – to either pick up their order or have it delivered by our courier partners.
We're currently active in 23 countries and more than 120 cities, servicing over 8 million customers. Our apps (iOS and Android) have the industry's highest reviews, largely because of our customer-centric approach to how we build our products and operations. For example, our customer service team responds in a matter of seconds, in the customer's own language.
We've raised €267M in financing from renowned U.S. and European based investors, such as ICONIQ Capital, 83North, EQT Ventures, Highland Europe, and Goldman Sachs Growth Equity and Lukasz Gadowski (founder of Delivery Hero). We've also been fortunate enough to receive some appreciation and recognition for our hard work along the way: Apple selected Wolt's app as their Editors' Choice, Wired named the company one of the "Hottest Startups in Europe," Forbes included our CEO Miki Kuusi on its 30-under-30 in Consumer Tech list, and the Nordic Startup Awards named Wolt Company of the Year. In 2020 we were recognized as Europe's most promising startup as part of Adyen and TNW's #Tech5 competition, and as the fastest growing tech company in Europe by the Financial Times.
Wolt is more than just a food and retail delivery operation – in fact we are built upon a solid foundation of state-of-the-art technology. Our internal tooling enables us to ramp up new cities efficiently and provide excellent customer service, our own logistics platform allows us to optimise our couriers' work to get you the food you want as fast as possible, and our restaurant platform allows restaurants to offer exciting food experiences for our customers in an optimal way.
We work in small teams with high ownership, with each team focusing on a key area of the Wolt product stack. Each and every one of our product team members has a say in where we are going and what solutions we implement. We work with a passion, but we haven't forgotten how to have fun along the way!