Senior Legal Counsel, Employment Law
Are you an experienced employment law professional, with a genuine interest in the future of work, technological innovations and platform economy? Do you want to be part of building and scaling the international expansion in a truly global tech organization? If this sounds like you, then we’d love to chat! We are currently looking for a new team member responsible for courier related matters.
Wolt is a Finnish technology company and we’re best known for our food delivery platform. Just 3 years ago, Wolt operated in 4 countries and 10 cities across the Nordics. Fast forward to today, we’re in 23 countries with over 6,000 employees. We operate in around 300 cities, servicing over 15M registered users and we've expanded our platform beyond food delivery into categories such as grocery, cosmetics, flowers, toys, electronics, books and even running our own grocery stores called Wolt Market. We are rapidly expanding our business and our vision is to offer everything our customers need, to their door, in 30 minutes or less.
As the platform economy is changing the ways consumers connect with restaurants and retailers, we are seeing a huge opportunity to be the industry leader with the amazing teams we have built globally.
To achieve our next growth targets, we are now looking for an in-house counsel dedicated to our courier model compliance, with main responsibility on our German market where couriers are employed, but also providing support for a number of other markets where our courier model is based on independent contractors. You will be based in Berlin, but our HQ in Helsinki would also be an option. You will work closely with our Legal team members, especially other in-house counsels dedicated to courier compliance as well as other Wolt teams like product development, business development, operations team as well as our country teams located in 23 countries.
The regulation in our space is evolving globally and becoming more challenging to navigate and manage as we scale, and your mission is to ensure that from a courier model compliance point of view our growth is sustainable. We truly want you to be an expert in employment law, but also someone who is curious and eager to learn more about platform work and being part of creating something new.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Together with our other in-house counsels dedicated to courier model compliance, you will be responsible for the development of and compliance with our courier model, whether on a given market it is based on the independent contractors or employed couriers or something else.
- Acting as the main point of contact for all courier related topics in Germany, but also taking ownership of courier compliance related topics in the other markets you support by working closely with the local operational teams.
- Identifying proactively development possibilities relevant for our business be it ideas for different processes, documentation or for instance app development, as well as sharing global legal developments and other insights to internal stakeholders.
- Weighing in on the discussion on platform economy and the future of work.
- Using your strong expertise in employment laws and hopefully also other specific fields relevant for our business.
- Analyzing complicated legal challenges, “translate” their implications to non-legal stakeholders and work through practical solutions.
- Manage possible litigations and regulatory proceedings using outside counsel, as needed.
- Keeping yourself up to date on the industry and proactively take action and share knowledge and insights with other team members.
Our humble expectations
- 7+ years of legal experience as in-house counsel or from a law firm in an international setting.
- Fully qualified lawyer / Master of Laws degree, preferable from Germany.
- Strong experience of advising on employment law related matters in Germany, experience from working with other countries in an international setting is an asset.
- Generalist ambitions beyond employment law expertise will work in your favor and litigation experience is considered as a plus.
- Experience in working in close cooperation with internal and external legal teams and working on multiple tasks at the same time.
- Ability to effectively weigh risks and payoffs in a number of scenarios and choose solutions.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Solutions-driven can-do attitude is an absolute must.
- Quick thinking and the type of person who rolls up their sleeves and gets to work, no matter the task.
- Fluent in English and German.
What you’ll get by joining us:
- Opportunity to be part of building something exceptional, in an international environment.
- Competitive salary and flexible working model
- Lots of learning and growth in a globally scaling tech company.
- Along with benefits, you will also be eligible for our stock option plan.
Click below to apply and get the conversation going!
If you have any further questions about the position, you can turn to Katariina Salomäki at email@example.com
Please note however that we only take applications through the application portal.
Wolt is a technology company that makes it incredibly easy to discover and get the best restaurants, grocery stores and other local shops delivered to your home or office. Since launching 7 years ago, Wolt has expanded from a restaurant food delivery platform in the Nordics to a leading player in the delivery of everything across EMEA. Wolt works together with tens of thousands of restaurant and retail partners, as well as with over a hundred thousand courier partners across 23 countries and 250+ cities. In November 2021 Wolt and DoorDash announced they are joining forces, and the transaction is expected to close in H1 2022. We continue to expand rapidly and are looking for more talented individuals to join us.
Wolt not only offers great apps to customers and partners, but is also developing a broad range of technologies and solutions. Our apps (iOS and Android) have the industry’s highest reviews, largely because of our customer-centric approach to how we build our products and operations. For example, our customer service team responds in a matter of minutes, in the customer’s own language.
So, why work at Wolt?
At Wolt, we’re about getting things done.
You’ll probably enjoy it here if you like taking ownership, developing yourself and being around friendly, humble and ambitious people.
We work hard to make cities into better places, and it’s pretty cool seeing us grow every week. If you’re passionate about building things that just… work, Wolt might be for you.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
We want to have all sorts of people in our team – people like you and me, and people different from you and me. To be able to work with diverse teammates – when it comes to gender, age, ethnicity, life background, sexual orientation, political views, religion, or any other personal trait – we consciously aim to offer equal opportunity for everyone to work with us. This is because we believe diverse teams make the most thought-through decisions and build things in the most inclusive way.
Join us today to build Wolt together.