Legal Counsel, Retail
Are you an experienced legal professional seeking a varied and challenging role? Does being part of one of Europe’s fastest growing companies excite you? If this sounds like you, then read further!
Wolt is a Finnish technology company and we’re best known for our food delivery platform. Food delivery was just a start, and now we are exploring and expanding our platform with other business verticals in retail and grocery. We’ve grown significantly in the last three years, expanding our operations from four countries across the Nordics to 23 countries across Europe and Asia today. And we’re just getting started.
Wolt’s legal team has been an integral part throughout this journey by consistently being at the forefront of building and scaling legal and compliance operations in all of Wolt’s markets. Currently, we are looking for a Legal Counsel to join the team as a crucial part of supporting Wolt’s retail business. In particular, you will be a key person in providing legal advice to Wolt Markets – our very own grocery stores that deliver unprecedented convenience and world leading customer experience. Together with other legal team members, you’ll be making sure that our retail business and Wolt Markets can grow and operate sustainably in accordance with local laws and regulations.
We’re looking for someone who has the ability to tackle a number of complicated legal issues, but also someone who understands the Wolt way of doing things; a problem-solver with an entrepreneurial mindset and a solutions-driven business-enabler. Our ideal team member is flexible and open for change, dynamic and proactively gets things done. We also appreciate quick thinking and a can-do attitude of rolling up one's sleeves and getting to work, no matter the task.
In this role, you will start by reporting to Wolt’s General Counsel, but this may change to another senior member of the legal team as the business grows and we scale the team. Our HQ is located in Helsinki with the majority of the legal team currently based there, but our office in Berlin can also be considered as your home base.
What you’ll be doing
- Being the first point of contact and trusted legal advisor to our Wolt Market management and operational teams across Wolt’s operating countries in all their legal matters.
- Drafting, reviewing and negotiating commercial agreements with suppliers and other cooperation partners.
- Ensuring competition law compliance within the retail business, including drafting related guidelines and giving training to our personnel.
- Handling and resolving legal issues and authority investigations that may arise within your field of responsibility.
- Working closely with our Global Head of Food Safety to advise on compliance and best practices in the field of food safety.
- Doing legal research and advising on regulatory questions relevant for retail and grocery verticals.
- Supporting Wolt’s retail business in other ad hoc legal tasks.
Our humble expectations
- At least 5 years of legal experience as an in-house counsel and/or from a reputable law firm in an international setting.
- Master of Laws degree from a reputable university in the EU or UK.
- Generalist legal skills and an interest in taking on a generalist legal role with a broad range of work tasks.
- Solid experience in providing legal advice regarding several of the following fields: retail, e-commerce, digital platforms, foodstuffs, competition law, general contract and corporate law.
- Experience in working in close cooperation with external law firms and working on multiple tasks at the same time.
- Ability to effectively weigh risks and payoffs in a number of scenarios.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Fluent in English.
- Willingness to travel.
What you’ll get by joining us:
- Opportunity to be part of building something exceptional, in an international environment
- Lots of learning and growth in a globally scaling tech company
- Competitive salary + stock options available
Click below to apply and get the conversation going!
If you have any further questions about the position, you can turn to: Katariina Salomäki, Regional Talent Acquisition Partner - email@example.com
However, please note that we only take applications through the application portal.
Wolt is a technology company that makes it incredibly easy to discover and get the best restaurants, grocery stores and other local shops delivered to your home or office. Wolt works together with over 30,000 restaurant and retail partners as well as with over 60,000 courier partners across 23 countries and 129 cities.
Our apps (iOS and Android) have the industry’s highest reviews, largely because of our customer-centric approach to how we build our products and operations. For example, our customer service team responds in a matter of seconds, in the customer’s own language. We’ve raised more than €707M in financing from renowned U.S. and European based investors, such as ICONIQ Capital, Tiger Global, DST, Prosus, KKR, Coatue, 83North, Goldman Sachs, Highland Europe and EQT Ventures & EQT Growth, among others.
We've also been fortunate enough to receive some appreciation and recognition for our hard work along the way: Apple selected Wolt’s app as their Editors' Choice, Wired named the company one of the "Hottest Startups in Europe," Forbes included our CEO Miki Kuusi on its 30-under-30 in Consumer Tech list, and the Nordic Startup Awards named Wolt Company of the Year.
In 2020, the Financial Times named us Europe’s second fastest growing company. We’re still expanding rapidly and are looking for more talented individuals to join us. If you are passionate about cutting-edge technology, great food, and making an impact in your city, then Wolt just might be for you.